I'm sensitive to tomatoes (they make my lips swell up like a B-rate actress in five minutes flat) so I'm always looking for good salsa recipes that let me get around the tomato issue. I love a good black-bean-and-charred-corn salsa, for example. But lately I've been craving the same kind of tart, vitamin C-rich salsa when we grill out, so we experimented and came up with this recipe:
Grilled Watermelon and Fennel Salsa
Ingredients: Watermelon, fennel, onion, mint, basil, champagne vinegar, red pepper or cilantro if desired
- Cut half-inch thick slices of watermelon, rind still on, from a small seedless watermelon.
- Cut 1/4 inch slices of both fennel bulb and onion.
- Grill the fennel and onion for a minute or two on each side, on a grill or grill pan on medium heat, until they start to soften. Then remove and set aside.
- Grill the watermelon on both sides until color changes from pink to a light orange. Salt both sides with Kosher salt while grilling.
- Dice the grilled fennel and onion and cut the grilled watermelon into 1/2 cubes, and combine with a dash of your favorite vinegar, pomegranate juice, or other acidic liquid.
- Mince the fresh herbs - mint, basil, or cilantro work well - and sprinkle over the salsa. If needed, and a pinch of salt or sugar, to taste.