Prosciutto-Wrapped Stuffed Dates
· 1/4 lb. thinly-sliced gluten-free prosciutto (Italian ham)--about 6-8 slices
· 15 large whole dates (Medjools work best)
· 1/3 cup marcona almonds (I use ones that are roasted in olive oil and salt)
· 4oz semi-soft cheese--fresh goat cheese works best, but fresh ricotta also works well
1. With a paring knife, slice the date lengthwise, open the date, and remove the pit.
2. In each date, depending on the size, spread or pipe 1/2 -1 tsp. of the cheese.
3. Press 1-2 almonds into the cheese where the pit used to be, and then re-close the date as mush as possible.
4. Wrap each stuffed date with about 1-in. width of the prosciutto so that the cheese and almonds are covered.
5. Place the wrapped, stuffed dates on a foil-lined sheet pan, about 1-2 inches apart.
6. Broil the dates under the top broiler in the oven for about 2-3 minutes a side, or until the am starts to crisp and the dates begin to smoke a bit, then flip and brown the other side.
7. Remove and cool a few minutes (the cheese can get hot), and then enjoy with maybe a drizzle of a balsamic reduction. Also great cold as a snack.